Estate Agent Director Jailed
Posted Friday 20 July 2018 - 10:15am by Trust Audit
Estate Agent Director Jailed after two children die in house with no smoke alarms.
Three-year-old Logan Taylor and his brother Jake, two, died in the blaze in Huddersfield in February 2016.
Kamal Bains, whose property firm managed the house, was originally charged with manslaughter; these charges were dropped when he pleaded guilty to health and safety breaches.
When sentencing at Leeds Crown Court, judge Mr Justice Males told him: "Your failure to fit smoke alarms was a significant cause of the children's deaths.
Bains was sole director of Prime Property Estates (Yorkshire), which maintained 140 homes in Huddersfield on behalf of private landlords – the company is now dissolved.
Bains told police smoke alarms had been installed, but fire investigations found no trace, the court previously heard.
Police believe it to be the first prosecution of its kind in the UK since new legislation was introduced in 2015 requiring private landlords to have at least one alarm installed on every storey of their properties.
Prosecutor Allan Compton told the court that the deaths were "eminently avoidable" as tests had proven that there would have been time to rescue the boys if an alarm had been fitted.
Kilpatrick, Director of Trust Audit the
industry’s leading supplier of independent compliance audits, said that checking
the presence and working order of Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms should form an
integral part of an agents Internal Audit, which we recommend should be carried
out at least once every 12 months.
Mother Emma Taylor and father Jamie Casey said in statement: "We do hope that this case highlights this important issue and for people to know their responsibilities as landlords or letting agents and to take appropriate action to ensure that any property they are responsible for has working smoke alarms.
"Such a simple check could have saved the lives of our boys and we want to ensure that this does not happen to anyone else."